Excursion to the Botanic Gardens!

Welcome back to my blog!

Today, the 15th of August 2016, the year 3/4s went to the Botanic Gardens! We went there to develop further knowledge about life in Australia before european settlers came here. If you didn’t know, the people who lived here before the settlers are called Indigenous Australians. They are been here for more than 60,000 years! Now it is time for me to tell you about the magnificent day!

Our school bus left our school at 9am and it took about 30-45 minutes to get there. When we got there, we sat down on the beautiful green grass and we had morning tee. After this, we went to put our bags down and we went with a group and we went to do a bunch of different activities. Firstly our class joined up with another classed and we did something called a smoking ceremony. A smoking ceremony is for example, welcoming people from another tribe into your tribe.

We each got a piece of leaf and then we lit the fire. We went around in a circle and we put our leaves in the fire. After that, we went with one of the teachers and we were learning about weaving with string. Indigenous Australians weave baskets, traps (more information about that later), bags and more. We had a go at making our own piece of weaved string.

After that, we went to look at all of the different things that the Indigenous Australians used back then. A trap (I mentioned this before) is to catch long fishes (usually eals). The eels swim in the trap and they can’t turn back because they’re too big. When you are ready to cook it, you take it out and kill it, then you cook it and then, you eat it. Then we went to do this really fun thing and we got to paint!! But it was not any ordinary painting. We did not use fine brushes and thick acrylic paint, we used our fingers, and we grinded some rock and added water to make paint. We looked at what the different symbols are and we created our own piece of art.

Then we had lunch and went on a bus to go to federation square, our class met up with some people from The Koorie Heritage Trust. We walked along the yarra river and we learned about all of the bush that used to be there. One of the really interesting facts was that there used to be a waterfall in the yarra river and John Batman blew it up because his 10 year old son drowned because of the waterfall.

After that we went to this place and we got to touch real life possum skins! They were used as blankets when Indigenous Australians were the only ones on this land. Now, if someone touches a possum, they go to jail for 6 months or they get a really big fine. Did you know know that possum skins were wrapped up in a ball so indigenous kids could a game like footy or soccer?

After that we went back on the bus and went back to school. I was very tired but I enjoyed the day a lot!

A few questions:

What was your favourite part of the excursion and why?

What was one intresting fact that you learned?

Thank you for visiting my blog and remember to keep smiling!

-Indi

3 thoughts on “Excursion to the Botanic Gardens!

1. Hi Indi,
    What an interesting day you had! No wonder you were tired, you found out some very interesting things and I am glad you shared them. I never knew there was a waterfall on the Yarra.
    Thanks
    Michelle